Skip to content
Home » 10 Common Electrical Myths Debunked 

10 Common Electrical Myths Debunked 

electrical myths

When it comes to electrical systems in our homes, there’s no room for guesswork or urban legends. There’s a fair share of electrical myths and misconceptions floating around that often lead to unnecessary worries, unsafe practices, and even electrical mishaps.  

It’s time to separate fact from fiction and debunk these misconceptions once and for all. Let’s get down to the wire and shed some light on the top 10 common electrical myths. 

10 Common Electrical Myths

Myth: Leaving chargers plugged in when not in use doesn’t consume any electricity. 

Reality: Sorry to break it to you, but even when your charger isn’t actively charging a device, it still draws a small amount of power. To save energy and reduce fire risks, unplug chargers when they’re not in use. 
 

Myth: It’s safe to DIY electrical repairs and installations without professional knowledge. 

Reality: Electrical work is complex and potentially dangerous. Unless you have proper training and qualifications, it’s best to leave electrical repairs and installations to licenced electricians. Safety should always be the top priority. 

Myth: You can’t get electrocuted if you touch electrical equipment with dry hands. 

Reality: Unfortunately, dry hands won’t protect you from electric shocks. Electricity can still flow through dry skin, especially if there’s moisture on the equipment or if you’re standing on a wet surface.  
 

Myth: Power outlets don’t pose any danger as long as you don’t touch the exposed wires. 

Reality: Power outlets can be hazardous even if the wires are not exposed. Improper use, such as overloading the circuit or using damaged plugs, can lead to electrical shocks or even fires. Stay safe by using outlets correctly and avoiding electrical overloads. 

Myth: Turning off appliances and electronics eliminates the risk of electrical fires. 

Reality: While turning off appliances helps reduce the risk, some devices still draw a small amount of power even in standby mode. To minimize fire hazards, consider unplugging appliances or using power strips with built-in surge protectors. 

Myth: Overloading powerboards is fine as long as it’s temporary. 

Reality: Nah, not on our watch! Overloading powerboards can cause overheating, sparks, and even fires. Always distribute the load evenly or consider using additional power outlets. 

Myth: Powerboards can handle unlimited electrical loads. 

Reality: Extension cords have specific amp ratings that indicate their capacity. Overloading a powerboard can lead to overheating and potential fires. Always use powerboards within their recommended limits and consider upgrading to a higher-rated powerboard if needed. 

Myth: Light consumes most of its energy when first turned on. 

Reality: Contrary to popular belief, lights don’t experience a surge in energy consumption when first turned on. However, frequent switching on and off can slightly reduce their lifespan. So, it’s generally more energy-efficient to turn off lights when leaving a room for an extended period. 

Myth: A flickering light bulb means it’s about to blow. 

Reality: A flickering light bulb doesn’t always spell disaster. It could be as simple as a loose connection or a faulty switch. Before throwing in the towel, try tightening the bulb or swapping it with a new one to see if the issue persists. 

Myth: Rubber-soled shoes make you immune to electric shocks. 

Reality: Rubber-soled shoes can provide some insulation, but they don’t guarantee protection against electric shocks. Insulated footwear designed specifically for electrical work is necessary for maximum safety in high-risk situations. Stay safe by avoiding contact with live electrical sources altogether. 

Electrical Myths Debunked!

By debunking these common electrical myths, we hope to empower you with the knowledge to make informed decisions about your electrical system. Remember, at Capital Home Electrical, our mission is to help you build safer homes. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our team for all your electrical needs. Stay safe and let’s keep our homes electrically sound! 

Contact us on 02 6100 2353.

See more of our services here.